Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Craigslist Virgin


I am a Craigslist virgin. Or, at least I was, until a few minutes ago. This morning, I posted two solicitations for Letters from Johns and Letters from Working Girls in Craigslist's New York erotic services section. Craigslist sure doesn't make doing so easy. I couldn't include URLs, so I had to write them out, and then I couldn't post similar ads in Los Angeles, because of some rule or the other about all that. Of course, I didn't have any problem finding close up photos of penises I could have lived without seeing or stumbling across a shot of some poor soul's prolapsed colon. God help me. The thing I found mildly interesting was the code language Craigslist solicitors use. Not the usual GFE stuff everyone knows already, but this whole "I have 300 roses for you" and "I have 500 reasons why you should come over." Roses and reasons being dollars, that is. Interesting. Guy solicits girl for sex by promising her roses and gives her greenbacks instead. Life is an eternal mystery. "Are You a John?" & "Are You a Working Girl?"
I search from town to town but I can't find my boo
I got so desperate that I sent a rocket to the moon
In New York City, someone said they saw you singing the blues
But it was a man from Nowhere Land that looked like you
I will keep searching on
This feeling's much too strong
My heart is ringing and I'm singing this song for you
-- Shop Around If You're Horny