Thursday, May 29, 2008

My "Sex and the City" Story for Salon Is Online


My "Sex and the City" story, "Those Dirty Girls," for Salon is now online. I've got more to say about the piece, but it's late, and I'm tired. I'll write more on this, and what it was like to talk to Susie Bright, who was a big influence on me when I was coming of age in the Bay Area, on Friday.

"To make her point, Bright references a recent New Yorker essay, 'The Fall of Conservatism' by George Packer, in which Pat Buchanan paraphrased social theorist Eric Hoffer: 'Every great cause begins as a movement, becomes a business, and eventually degenerates into a racket.' Comments Bright: '"Sex and the City"' is the racket part of what once was recognizable as the sexual self-emancipation of the feminist movement.' For her, the commodification of the 21st century female sexual revolution hits too close to home."