Monday, June 16, 2008

Welcome to Tumblrtown


Web designer and Tumblr Trey Piepmeier points out that if you read my Tumblr via the Tumblr dashboard, you won't see it... Well, it's hard to know how to say it. I was going to say, "You won't see it the way that it's supposed to be seen," but the idea that anyone can control or dictate the way things are "supposed" to be read on the web is cockamamie. Every day, I post an image and a quote to my Tumblr. The settings are such that if you go to the homepage of my Tumblr, you'll see the quote and the image for that day, paired together. But if you read it via your dashboard, or as Trey further points out, you attempt to link to the combination of the two as a whole, you can't. Because of the way Tumblr is, they are two distinct posts. That's because I like the way the format of the Quote posts are done, and I prefer that the image has a stand alone look, rather than, say, the tiny writing that you can scribble underneath it. Says Trey:

"It’s also a kind of brittle layout, in that it is impossible to link to a particular photo/quote combo, since the page number is constantly moving ever upwards. Perhaps someone could construct an entire Tumblog history all at once and call it done as they first publicize it. Like a book."

If anyone has further thoughts on the matter, well, I suppose you could let me know. Or it could just be, you know, what it is. After all, this format is simply a redux of a format I greatly admired on Riley Dog.