Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Other Day


The other day I watched some video interview with David Lynch talking about the creative process, and he said it was like you were sitting in a room, and there was a man in another room, and he kept handing you pieces to a puzzle. You never know when you're going to get another piece. Writing that, it makes the whole thing sound rather like something Forrest Gump would say if he was a writer, but one does what one can. So, basically, I've been getting up in the mornings, when my thinking mind is most asleep, and then I churn out a certain number of pages before I have to go do other things and have other jobs and things like that. I had a dream this morning that someone was handing me two tickets, they were time travel tickets, and he said, well, why don't you go back in time and fix it then, and I said, no, thanks, if I did that, then things wouldn't have turned out like this. Which is a good thing, I guess. Sometimes, if I get stuck, I just sit there and ask the guy in the next room to hand me another piece to the puzzle. Sometimes he does. Sometimes he doesn't.