Thursday, August 14, 2008

Meat


Next week, when I'm in New York, I'm going to meet my friend Clayton Cubitt for the first time. We have known one another for years, and I have written about him several times over those years, but we have never met each other in meat space in all these years. So, this will be interesting.

Last night, on a whim, I called someone I hadn't spoken with in a long time. A man in LA who was always very nice to me. He was the executive producer of the very first TV show I was on, lo' those many years ago. Back then, I remember him telling me, right before it was time to go out and do it, "You have twenty-two minutes..." The idea was: Do it now. This is your chance. Go for it.

Earlier today, someone asked me why I wanted to do something, and I gave an answer I didn't really like. I guess at the time I wasn't sure what the answer was. It's hard to explain. All I know is that sometimes things fall out of the sky, and sometimes they're meteors, and sometimes they're gifts, and maybe sometimes you just bend down and pick them up, and that's it.

I haven't been to New York City in years. Maybe five. I love it there. My father was from Brooklyn. Flatbush. I am happy there.

Beginning? End? Middle? Who knows what's around the corner. Some days, you just keep running.