Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Rape in Congo


This week, I'm guestblogging at Slate's blog for women, The XX Factor, and my first post is on the current state of the rape epidemic in Congo. Times reporter Jeffrey Gettleman returned to the area one year after his original report and finds the situation has changed--somewhat. It's a must-read.

A year ago, when Gettleman's original story ran, I posted about the Congo issue. Then, it was challenging to figure out how one could help. Since, Vagina Monologues creator Eve Ensler has gotten involved. You can learn more, get involved, or donate here.

If you're interested in helping the world, but you want to keep it domestic, the Young Women's Empowerment Project is a Chicago-based non-profit that offers support to young women, ages 12 to 23, who are sex workers and/or impacted by street economies. It appears their online donation system isn't working right now, but last weekend I donated $100 by snail mail. For some time, I didn't have a lot. Now, I am lucky enough to have more. Things are hard all around, but for some things are harder than others.