Friday, November 14, 2008

The Most Beautiful Thing in the World Is, of Course, the World Itself


A while ago, someone I know through this blog sent me something wonderful in the mail. It was a frog. Not just any frog, of course. But one of the frogs that fell from the sky in "Magnolia," which is one of my all-time favorite movies. I appreciated the gift, and now this frog sits upon my desk while I write.

The other day, this person said there was something else in the mail. What could it be? I had no clue. Today, I picked up a rather large box from the post office. I got home. I put the box on the floor. I opened the box. I looked inside it. I said: "What...?" Inside the box there was another box, with something on it that I recognized. And inside that box there was a Wilson. That is, Wilson from "Cast Away," another one of my all-time favorite movies. Of course, it's not the Wilson, but it is a Wilson, all part of a promotional packet that would have gone out to promote the movie years ago. On the outside of the box, which was made to look as if it was lost at sea for a long time, there's a set of angel wings.

The note inside explained it all.
... see unlike chuck, who lost wilson at the end of his time adrift, you receive him at the moment when youve gotten rescued from your isle of isolation and madness ...
Now Wilson sits on my mantle. Thank you very, very much.

[Note: I embedded the high-res video using this fine hack.]