Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Street Life


Earlier today, on Twitter, I visited Douglas Clark's Twitter feed, and then clicked on his website link, which took me to his Flickr account. I knew right away what I was looking at--photos of working girls--but the context was enigmatic.

Who had taken these photos? How? Why? Their frankness reminded me of Philip-Lorca diCorcia's street work and their happenstance of Merry Alpern's Dirty Windows. The images are curious, voyeuristic, coincidental.

I sent Clark, who lives in Miami, an email, asking him about his enigmatic photographs.

He replied:
It started because a friend had given me a supertelephoto lens, and I happened to have some time at work one day.

The photos are of the people that habit the area around my work, and most end up being crack/heroin users.

Many turn to prostitution to support that habit. There are multiple agencies near this location that provide programs and help to anyone that needs it, but I end up seeing the same faces time and time again in the area....

I hope these images provoke a discussion at least.
His "Street Life" set is here. His Twitter feed is here. And his Tumblr, "the street," is here.

[Thank you to Douglas Clark for allowing me to republish his work and words.]