Thursday, July 02, 2009

Portrait of the Artist with an Octopus


Night before last, I received an email from Molly Peck, a New York-based artist. The subject header read, "Susannah Breslin is happy," which definitely got my attention, as I am having a hell of a week.

In any case, there was an image attached to it, the one you see here, which is a painting that Molly made. The source material is here, and, yes, that's me. Molly, whom I didn't really know previously, had painted my portrait. Her email read: "I paint people who inspire me. Thank you for that."

I adore it. I think it's a scream. I especially love the small octopus that has entwined itself around my right wrist. Best of all, it's on its way to me. I can't wait to get it.

If you would like to see more of Molly's wonderful work, you can find her online here and here, and you can even commission her to do your portrait, or a portrait of someone else, or a portrait of your dog on Etsy for a very reasonable price.

Molly's wonderful bio:
I stopped painting shortly after college, because a boy I was dating made me feel bad about it.

Ten years later, I met a boy who made me want to paint again. Once I started painting again, he made me feel so happy about it that I did not want to stop.

I really love to paint people's faces... portraits, I guess. I fall a little bit in love with each person I paint while I am working on the piece... spending so much time intimately scrutinizing someone's features is pretty romantic. Don't worry, though-- it's not love in a creepy way, and it passes once I'm finished.

I have noticed lately that every single painting demands to be painted differently. I feel like I have to re-learn the entire process every time.
Thank you, Molly!