Wednesday, September 24, 2008

From The Anus Of My Research


Recent research for my novel includes: the Los Angeles River, the Glendale Narrows, and the flood of 1938.

"A man who drives a large truck for one of the ice companies lives a block from us ( or DID): when the flood hit they apparently thought they could get out in the truck, for when daylight came we could look out and see the truck with the nose hanging down into a hole, the water halfway up on the windshield, and the rain wiper was running right along, back and forth, just above the water, and it kept running some four hours after we first saw it. It looked funny, working away just above the surface of the water."

Somebody told me to write every day, so I do that. Somebody said about 1,000 words a day, so I do that. Somebody said in the morning, so I do that, too. Right now, I pretty much do whatever they tell me. I figure if I do that, they'll let me out of this place.