Monday, June 23, 2008

The Great Mad Men Debate


Subject: "Mad Men Misunderstood."

Quote: "The New Jezebels act like the girl in 'The Exorcist,' their heads forever spinning because they can't make up their minds if they want to spend all their time trashing men, whining about how oppressed they are by magazines, or blogging about how many times they got fucked last night--so they end up doing all three at the same time."

Opinion #1: "When I grow up, I want to be Susannah Breslin."

Opinion #2: "Oh, Susannah, you are so full of shit."

Opinion #3: "Of course, I understand that when you used the phrase 'New Jezebels' you weren't only referring to the Gawker site's contributors but to a larger state of things. Still, I think Jezebel provides a centralized, nicely packaged example of the badly oiled machine that is modern, Dudes Suck! based quasi-feminism or whatever this thing is supposed to be. I hate feeling this way because I really looked forward to Jezebel. I love smart, funny women and smart, funny women who can write are especially wonderful. But, when it became clear that the tone of posts, on gender issues at least, would violently swerve back and forth, like a drunk behind the wheel of formula one car -- one moment decrying (and maybe celebrating in some odd, pile on the rabbit way) 'dude' crapiness and the aesthetic absurdity of penises (or, as the cute-a-rati say, 'peen'), the next moment...well, doing pretty much the opposite -- I knew there were wheels within wheels at work." [male reader via email]