Friday, June 20, 2008

My Top Ten All-Time Favorite Movies And Ten Notes On The List


1. "Raging Bull"
2. "Orlando"
3. "Magnolia"
4. "The Wizard of Oz"
5. "Mulholland Drive"
6. "Apocalypse Now"
7. "No Country for Old Men"
8. "Cast Away"
9. "Sixteen Candles"
10. "Man Bites Dog"

1. I was torn between putting "Raging Bull" first and putting "Orlando" first. We're talking favorites, not greatest. "Orlando" speaks to me like no other movie, but "Raging Bull" is the greater movie, so there you have it.

2. A lot more black and white here than I would have thought.

3. "Magnolia" could have been in the number one position, too. Shares my obsession with the Valley. Father/son deathbed scene is unrivaled in cinema.

4. At my first pass on this list, I forgot "Apocalypse Now" and "Mulholland Drive." Embarrassing.

5. "Cast Away" is a movie I probably would have never seen if I hadn't been paid to review it when it came out. Christ. Beautiful. Plane crash scene? Phenomenal. Love the silence. The transformation. Can't watch it enough.

6. "Sixteen Candles." Um. Sorry! I'm a girl.

7. "Man Bites Dog." If you haven't seen it, see it. Faux serial killer doc. "CINEMA! CINEMA! CINEMA!" Unforgettable.

8. Wanted to include "flex" and "The Operation" but didn't because they're shorts.

9. Apologies to "Taxi Driver." And "Goodfellas." And Scorsese. My hero.

10. My list is weird.