Monday, August 25, 2008

The Hardyman en Español


A few weeks ago, I got an email from Felix E. Guerrero, who said he was working on a Spanish translation of a story I wrote, "The Hardyman."

It's a story about a man who finds an exoskeletal suit, restores it, and falls in love. Suffice to say, his robot suit gets in the way. The story was inspired by the Hardiman, a real 1965 exoskeleton project by GE.

Originally, I wrote the story some six years ago, but over the years I was never able to find a publisher for it. So, late last year, I published the story in full on this blog. I did so under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 license and encouraged anybody who wanted to do anything with the story to do so. Matthew McClintock at Manybooks.net turned it into an ebook and made it available to cellphone readers.

In any case, Felix said he had read the story some time ago and begun working on the Spanish translation with a woman named Marisol. Previously, the two had collaborated on a Spanish translation of Cory Doctorow's "Scroogled." "She is a professional translator and I'm familiar with the sci-fi/tech jargon so that's how we work. Summing up our knowledges," he explained. Along the way, the project had gotten sidelined, but now they were back working on it. He'd let me know when they were finished.

Now, they are. If you're interested in reading "The Hardyman" in Spanish as translated by Felix and Marisol, it's here.

Thank you so much to Felix and Marisol for helping to spread the story of "The Hardyman" around the world.