Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Photo of the Day: Alison Brady


I came across the work of Alison Brady the other day. I'd seen her work on various sites, but I hadn't seen the image you see here. I love her work--it's surreal, strange, enigmatic. Originally from Cleveland, Ohio, she's a relatively recent grad of the School of Visual Arts in New York.

Her artist statement is wonderfully visceral. She says her work is about "unconscious emotions, desires, and sexual compulsions," as well as madness, all taken to the level of the beautifully grotesque.

"Freud, in 'Beyond the Pleasure Principle' states, 'Often times we tend to repeat a traumatic event over and over even until it becomes pleasurable.' This repetition contradicts our instinct to seek pleasure but, regardless, our mind has a tendency to repeat traumatic events in order to deal with them, as a way of mastering them."

Click the image above to see a larger version, and thank you to Alison for sending it and letting me publish it.